Case study optimisation strategies (12/2022)
- A SWOT analysis of the IUCN criteria for nature-based solutions to support European Green Deal goals yielded a broad spectrum of information on the MERLIN freshwater restoration case studies.
- This information provides the necessary ingredients to draft an optimisation strategy for the MERLIN case studies on themes including multiple goals, society, restoration techniques, economy, policy and regulations.
- This information offers a basis for peer-to-peer learning between the case studies and those in other regions.
- The optimisation strategies provide new insights and broaden perspectives on restoration actions in individual case studies.
- Identifying the potential for multiple Green Deal goal achievements will initiate broader dialogues with stakeholders and provide new incentives for restoration with multiple benefits for local people.
- Capacity building on financia larrangement swill create new opportunities for restoration actions.
- Clear and agile policy arrangements are needed to enhance stakeholder participation in restoration actions.
- The visioning, planning and evaluation of restoration actions are long-term activities that benefit from adaptive approaches and sound long- term monitoring programs on multiple aspects of biophysical and socio-ecological systems.